Monday, September 3, 2007

I have has a query from Rhys in NZ with some interest in canoe building. My response is valid to anyone else who might be considering building from the Hollow Log design as posted on the Aust Canoe web site:

It has taken me along time to feel comfortable sailing my canoe. It is not an easy boat and I have made many mods to the sail, rig, seat and systems before reaching the point that I am comfortable to sail it in at least 20kts and reasonably smooth water.
I still need lots more practice before the idea of 25kts and waves is tempting, but we might get that at McCrae, so I will be working on it.I think I can handle a small boat OK. I have been sailing narrow moths for 5 years and manage to finish about 1/3 from the front in NSW and Aust fleets. I am 57 and a long skinny 85kg.
If all that sounds like you and your commitment, then I recommend building the boat at minimum width because the rewards when you get it right are very moth like.
If you want something easier you could try some of these options:
* simply increasing the width of the bottom pannel (and hence chine width )by 100mm
* increasing the prismatic coeff by making the ends blunter,
* lowering the freeboard and cockpit floor
* using the conventional sloop rig, but you would need to widen the gunwale beam at the mast to stay it. I doubt the sloop rig would be lighter but the short boom would make gybing much easier.

I would not change:
* the general hull shape and the way the stressed ply flows smoothly from bow to planing areas as nicely as a bow wave.
* much of the structure as I have proven it tough and strong enough. The foam BH are really forms for the carbon ring frames and also deck supports for heavy feet.
* fin, seat and cat rig mast positions. The boat tacks well and only gets into iroms when you centre the tiller halfway though a tack. And since I have got the sail to twist downwind there is no tendency to nose dive.

No comments: